Sometimes I find a gem of a book in the displays of bookstores. One day a few summers ago, I came across the second novel in this series, Poltergeist. It was about a private investigator who had a near-death experience and ends up seeing ghosts. I love mysteries (and I consider this series to be mysteries, along with other categories ...) and the book took place in Seattle - my area. I tracked down the first and third in the series and set them aside. Something told me (maybe one of those ghosts) that I might need uninterrupted time to read these.
They were worth the wait, which, in the event, was only a few weeks. I enjoy reading books, and often read them quickly, but rarely do I devour them the way I did the Greywalker series. I barely ate or slept until I had finished all three. I believe I did venture out, once, to find the fourth one - but that was about it. The setting is well-rendered, less atmospheric than many writers get with the Seattle rain. It was very much Seattle - real, quirky, a few sort of gritty neighborhoods, but still a small city feel. The characters were interesting and the plot, clearly, was compelling - so much so that it was almost bad for my health. All the books were incredibly well-written, the characters and events consistent across the series - all right, I'm raving, but these books deserve it. One of the things that helped draw me in even more is that the protagonist, Harper, reacts to everything in a very believable way. She is pretty freaked out by the near-death experience, but even more freaked out when some of the oddest "side-effects", like seeing dead people and the world they live in, not only don't diminish but instead increase. Most of the human characters are the same - with various levels of comfort and experience with the Grey.
If you like mysteries, get these books, all of them. If you like paranormal, get these books. If you like a strong story with strong characters, ignore the genre and get these books. I enjoyed them so much that I have suggested them to everyone I know. A fifth novel, Vanished, came out last year and I bought and read it in one day. A sixth is due in August 2011 - I can hardly wait. I have read a lot of books that I enjoy, but this is one series where I devour each and wait, very impatiently, for the next. Welcome to my addiction ...
Tuesday, January 18, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment