The past few years have been very difficult, which some of my earlier posts allude to. Some day I will write more on that, but today I wanted to focus on what has gone right ...
I have been thinking about those people in my life who lift me up, even with something so simple as a FaceBook update or as a blog post. I realized I have quite a few of these folks in my life, and I am very grateful for this: a colleague from an old job found on FB, who often takes the time to read and comment on this blog, but, more importantly, posts great stories to her own blog - they never fail to make my day; another friend, known mostly through FB, who has gone through incredibly difficult times (and still is), but faces each day with amazing honesty, wit, and ironic and snarky humor - I love that - again, her posts are always an inspiration; another colleague from an old job who is now my boss' boss - meeting her again reminded me how much I missed her easy smile, laughter, and great sense of humor - and she never fails to make me feel good - she never failed to do so before ... Of course, there are many, many friends who are closer, and I am grateful for the care they show me, as well. I have always been fortunate to have many good friends who stood by me no matter what has happened, and who have cheered me up with books, jokes, hugs and, of course, free food. My girlfriend's support and love has gone far to heal the wounds from a very abusive relationship I recently survived - I am grateful every time I see her - or my ex!
I am very grateful to have a job after a year without one, even though there are not enough hours and the pay is minimum. It's not terrifically easy, and I was worried about how my body would hold up, but I have found that the respect the supervisors have for myself and the other students is so refreshing, that I don't care that much about the rest. I really enjoy working there. I love feeling competent, and having people recognize that, but also being part of a team that really tries to do the best they can. There are a lot of rather boring times, but every student there is "on" as soon as a customer appears. So clearly I am grateful for that.
And then there is my sweet daughter, my kidlet, who, even in the throes of being fourteen, reveals amazing depth and resilience in the face of all the changes of the past few years. I am grateful every day to have her in my life.
So, a toast to simple pleasures - good friends, respect, fun, and love - more than enough to be grateful for.
Wednesday, September 22, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
nice post.
ReplyDeleteWe've been playing it kind of quiet, this visit, not reaching out to too many people, so I'm sorry I haven't been in touch. But there may be another visit in the near future. We're rediscovering Seattle.
I'm loving your Seattle posts, as much as your others. You do keep in touch - and that is one thing to be very grateful for!
ReplyDelete